Wilson basketball on NBA floor
Wilson basketball on NBA floor (Photo via Reuters Connect)

A San Antonio Spurs broadcaster lost his job in July. Two months later, he’s got it back.

Jacob Tobey, the team’s lead play-by-play announcer, confirmed his return in a social media post Friday.

Front Office Sports had originally reported in July that Tobey was out of the role entirely. Allegations quickly spread across social media at the time.

Those allegations centered on his relationship with a Spurs player’s family member.

The Scandal Broke Through Tobey’s Own Instagram Account

Jacob Tobey playing the guitar

The controversy began when someone posted on Tobey’s Instagram Story, claiming to be his girlfriend of six years.

“This is his now ex-girlfriend,” a follow-up post read. It described how she discovered the alleged affair while visiting his family. “I was visiting his family with him for two weeks, we were on day three, when I found out about him and Loren.”

The posts accused Tobey of cheating with Loren Waters, the sister of then-Spurs forward Lindy Waters III. They also included photos appearing to show the two kissing at a bar. The posts disappeared within hours. Tobey then set his accounts to private.

Neither Tobey nor the Spurs organization ever formally confirmed the firing or explained the reasons behind it.

Front Office Sports reporter Ryan Glasspiegel first broke news of Tobey’s exit. He later confirmed on X that “the exit got reversed,” though he didn’t explain why the decision changed.

Tobey Addressed His Return Directly On Social Media

Jacob Tobey (Photo via X)

Tobey thanked the organization in his announcement.

“I thank the Spurs for allowing me time to step away to sort out issues in my personal life,” he wrote.

He added:

“I understand that I will have to regain trust within the organization and across our community, a community where I will continue to be present with enthusiasm and passion. I believe I have the best job in the world and am thrilled to be able to continue as the team’s play-by-play announcer.”

Tobey joined the Spurs in 2024. He replaced longtime announcer Bill Land, building a strong reputation in the industry. He even earned a spot on Front Office Sports’ list of rising young play-by-play broadcasters.

He’ll return to the booth alongside analyst Sean Elliott this season. San Antonio enters the year fresh off its run to the 2026 NBA Finals, where the Spurs ultimately fell to the Knicks in five games.



Fired NBA Broadcaster Gets Job Back Months After Being Fired For Cheating Scandal That Exploded On Social Media
News Daily Reports

No comments: