Sophie Cunningham Makes It Clear What She Wants From The WNBA’s Next Commissioner

Sophie Cunningham knows exactly what she wants to see in the WNBA’s next commissioner.
The Indiana Fever guard wants someone who can bring people together. With Cathy Engelbert stepping down after the 2026 season, the league will be looking for a replacement.
Cunningham talked about it on Monday with James Boyd from The Athletic. She said the WNBA is full of people from all kinds of different backgrounds, which is why the next commissioner really needs to focus on unity.
“The WNBA has always been a place for people to feel safe and comfortable. I think there are all types of walks in this league, which I think is absolutely awesome,” Cunningham said. “But I do think with that, you need someone who’s gonna unite everybody because it can be so different.”
Cunningham Wants A Players-First Commissioner

Cunningham said the league’s diversity makes the WNBA special. She also believes the next commissioner must give players a common goal.
“With all the diversity, you do need someone who is gonna unite our league and have a common goal and get us all on the same page,” Cunningham said. “I think that’s super important.”
The Fever guard also wants the next commissioner to build a strong relationship with players. Some players have criticized Engelbert’s leadership. Minnesota Lynx star Napheesa Collier called her “negligent” last year.
#Fever’s Sophie Cunningham on what the next commissioner should prioritize:
— James Boyd (@RomeovilleKid) September 14, 2026
“The #WNBA has always been a place for people to feel safe/comfortable. I think there are all types of walks in this league. …You need someone who’s gonna unite everybody b/c it can be so different.” pic.twitter.com/MDbXu9E057
Cunningham said the next commissioner can still make difficult decisions while keeping communication open with players.
“You need a commissioner who is players first, who wants a relationship with their players,” Cunningham said. “I think that’s so important. That doesn’t mean we’re always gonna get along, we’re always going to agree. They have a job. They work for the owners, so they’re going to have to make hard decisions. But if you have that open line of communication, that respect level, I think that it just feels different.”
Cunningham doesn’t have anyone specific in mind for the job. When asked if she had a favorite candidate, she replied, “God no.”
Still, she feels good about where things are headed. Cunningham said she’s had great talks with NBA commissioner Adam Silver, and she trusts him to find the right person to keep pushing the WNBA forward.
“Our league is booming,” Cunningham said. “And I think he’s going to do that, so I’m super excited.”
Now, it remains to be seen if these things get implemented.
Sophie Cunningham Makes It Clear What She Wants From The WNBA’s Next Commissioner
News Daily Reports
No comments: